Tuesday, June 29, 2010

TUESDAYS TREASURES

Theres no way I can pretty up this little box.  It has a story behind it. Way way back when Mr Mik and I decided that we would get married my future mum in law worked as an O.T. in Social Services teaching handcrafts to a group of elderly mentally challenged people.  She had always spoke to them about her family and what they were up to so when they found out we had finally decided to get married they wanted to make a little gift. So this old chocolate box was gussied up and they put in broken jewelry, old beads, bits and pieces of lace, all sorts of little things. For over 29 years it has been the treasure box, things taken out, things added to it. Homeless bits and pieces all go in the little box.  Its tatty and cracked (just like me) but I hope it will still be sat on the windowsill in my craftroom for many more years to come.

Its current contents are a pair of dolls shoes for the doll I never made, the ribbons and bells from the girls Lindt easter bunnies, two old belt buckles, a plastic bracelet picked up off the street, wooden beads, a badge off one of our old cars (could be off the old Kingswood wagon), hexagon papers, an original lifeboat whistle, broken jewelry and lots of the original pearl and glass beads that came with the box, sea shells, hairclips, a couple of drawing pins and lots of little fiddly bits too numerous to mention. 

Jan

JOIN CLARE over at Clarescraftroom for Tuesdays Treasure, McLinky doesn't want to play today with me so look for Clares Blog in my sidebar

7 comments:

  1. Oooh yes Jan, I love the story behind your wonderful treasured box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful Jan , that is truly a treasure ! Thankyou for playing along !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's a lovely treasure trove and such a lovely story too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a true treasure box with a sweet story behind it. Always taking out out never expected treasures and putting some new ones in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's some treasure you've got there. I love the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this box and the story. I am new to blogland and enjoy your stories so I will be a regular visitor.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treasure box to keep your treasures in. I think a treasure box is just the thing to have in any crafty persons room, well, it is almost a necessity! Well, just look at the treasure you have stored up right now!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Val

    ReplyDelete